Soul Speak
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to gather and share and perhaps make life easier through sharing expirences.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

MegaMan X Retrospective

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Rey
Legendary Soul
Rey

MegaMan X Retrospective Empty
PostSubject: MegaMan X Retrospective   MegaMan X Retrospective EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 6:27 pm

First off, let me note that this was inspired by Boomstick545 on Youtube. Second, I go around on Youtube and many other Video Game related sites and I see retrospectives on MegaMan. I usually end up watching and enjoying them but what bugs me is that they're always about the Classic series. All they talk about is MegaMan 1-9 and on some retrospectives, MegaMan and Bass. Even though the Classic series is a great series, the X series is just as good if not better. So to honour one of the first series I fell in love with, here's my Retrospective on the MegaMan X series.

MegaMan X

MegaMan X Retrospective Mmxbox

MegaMan X was released in 1993 on the Super NES by Capcom and It was MegaMan's entry to the new console. The story will take me awhile to cover because there are many things in between but here's the basics. It stars a reploid named MegaMan X (They constantly refer to him as X) who is a Maverick Hunter. It was at a time where reploids who don't accept the robot rules were labeled Mavericks, meaning they were corrupted. Sigma, a reploid who was created by the father of reploids, Dr. Cain, has gone Maverick and confused nine other reploids to join him (eight, if you don't count Vile). In X's journey to stop Sigma, he is aided by Zero, a reploid who covered all his potential and tries to help X to cover his.

MegaMan X is considered one of the best entries to the series because it introduced many new elements to the gameplay such as the Armor that helps X go stronger, Upgrades that help increase X's Health Bar and such as E-Tanks and it added a new challenge to the gameplay. Because there are many upgrades and armors, you're introduced to a whole new experiance in the levels, allowing you to explore around, go to hidden places and use your weapons in some areas to get to these upgrades. They also added this awesome easter egg where if you got all the armor parts and upgrades, you're able to get a special weapon called the Fire Ball. In other words, Hadoken (He even screams it!).

It was praised by many but just like the first MegaMan, it's considered one of the best games on the console. However, it's considered one of the weakest games in the X series mainly because they didn't know what the console was capable of back then. For me, I love this game. To my knowledge, this is the game I spent playing most out of all the other games. I highly.. HHIIGGHHLLYY recommend this game to anyone.

MegaMan X 2

MegaMan X Retrospective Mmx2_box

By some fans of the series, this is considered the best MegaMan X game on the SNES. The game starts with an opening showing what X has been doing since the events of MegaMan X, kicking bumm. In the first MegaMan X, Zero died after trying to help X. A group called the X-Hunters told the Maverick Hunters that they have Zero's parts and if they want them back, they have to defeat them aswell as their eight mavericks. So addition to the eight bosses, you can also challenge three other bosses that are found in the levels if you want to get the true ending. However, if you don't defeat them, you'll end up facing Zero near the end of the game.

The gameplay is very identical to the first MegaMan X with the addition of more hidden upgrades and armors aswell as more innovation in the level design. Other than that, the gameplay is pretty much the same but sorta upgraded more than the first one. It's a very good game, but for me, I prefer the first MegaMan X. This one's still recommended to anyone, just not as much as the first one.

MegaMan X 3

MegaMan X Retrospective Mmx3_box

MegaMan X 3 is also considered to be the best MegaMan X game on the SNES. a Doctor, called Dr. Doppler, has been neutralizing mavericks in his tower and so the number of mavericks have decreased. However, one day it seemed the mavericks have some what increased and all evidence pointed out that Dr. Doppler was responsible for it. So it's up to X and Zero to stop him.

Again, this one was also much like the first two with few upgrades and more armors. However, in this one, you had the chance to play as Zero. Zero's gameplay was like X, but his attacks were much more powerful and you could charge even longer. Even though it was the same, it gave the game a whole new feeling to it and made the experiance feel new. Some fans didn't like it as much as others did but I really enjoyed this one more than MegaMan X 2. It does lack few things that the other two had, but it's by all means not worst than the other two.

MegaMan X 4

MegaMan X Retrospective Rmx4_box

The Playstation and Saturn hit the market and the first MegaMan X game on a new system is released on both. After the events of X3, a military-like group has formed together to complement the Maverick Hunters called The Repliforce, led by The General and Colonel. However, as time passed, the Repliforce began commiting acts of violance that caused the Maverick Hunters to label them as Mavericks. A strange man (Well, a blind man can see that it's Sigma) tells the General that the Maverick Hunters are a threat to the Repliforce's goals. After that, the Hunter's HQ recieve reports that Sky Lagoon has been attacked and it appears to be the Repliforce. The Repliforce deny that fact and refuses to give in so it started a war.

MegaMan X 4 took the X series to a whole new level. Addition to X's traditional gameplay, the game allows you to play as Zero, giving the game a whole new style of gameplay. X's gameplay is the same. You have a buster, you defeat boss, you get their weapon. In Zero's gameplay, you have a saber, you defeat boss, you learn a new move like a double jump, dashing in the air or even thunder Uppersword. It felt like Strider in MegaMan's world.

The game also offered a deeper plot that mostly focuses on Zero, showing us where he came from and why was he created. To know the entire story, you had to finish the game as both X and Zero, giving the game some replay values. Some fans loved this game, but hated the horrible voice acting which honestly, I loved. XD "WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOR!" still stands as one of my favourite quotes in a video game. Overall, very good game, very enjoyable, HIGHLY recommended, but not nearly as much as the next one..

MegaMan X 5

MegaMan X Retrospective Megaman%20X5

The second MegaMan X game on the PSX. The game starts Sigma planning to hack into the gravity controls of the largest space stations, Eurasia, with a help of a bounty hunter named Dynamo. Sigma went to cause destruction but he ended being defeated by X and Zero. However, that resulted into a virus called the Sigma Virus to spread and affect most of the reploids on earth and Eurasia. If Eurasia ended up crashing, that will cause the entire world to be affected by the virus.

How can I explain this one.. hm.. I know! Take MegaMan X 4, remove most of it's flaws and put it on steroids. And now, you have MegaMan X 5. Arguably the best MegaMan X game atleast to the X fans. Challenging levels, challenging bosses, more upgrades, more armors, Equipments and many more. This game has everything a MegaMan X fan wants in a MegaMan game. This game also has cameos, weapons and bosses that resembles things from old MegaMan games such as the Shadow Devil and the Tri-Thunder.

I know I know, no game is ever perfect. However, if I had the ability to choose the closest game to perfection, it would be this game. I really love this game and it's one of these game that cannot be forgotten like Metal Gear Solid and Super Mario Bros., atleast if you like MegaMan. Like I said, awesome game, if you EVER run into it, BUY IT! NO QUESTIONS, BUY IT!

MegaMan X 6

MegaMan X Retrospective Rmx6box

Now, MegaMan X 5 was meant to end the series because Keiji Inafune, the creator of MegaMan, wanted to move on the new series, MegaMan Zero. But the fans complained about the series ending and wanted more from MegaMan and at the time, Capcom didn't know Inafune was working on the Zero series so they made MegaMan X 6 which ruined Inafune's story for the Zero series, resulting him to alter it. And that's pretty much why this game is one of the least accepted MegaMan games ever.

The game starts with a scientist named Gate finds a mysterious piece of rubble that corrupts him. He then sends out a team of destroyed repoiled that he created and resurrected to search for and destroy the Zero Nightmare, a copy of Zero that he created to fool everyone into thinking he caused all the troubles and disasters. X tries to investigate while also facing another threat called the Nightmare Phenomenon.

Now since this game is one of the least accepted MegaMan games, that means it's bad, right? Well, no. The only reason this game is not accepted was because it ruined the story. And a MegaMan fan usually claims that he doesn't care about the story aslong as the gameplay is good.. that makes me think otherwise..

Infact, this game plays exactly like MegaMan X 5 with slightly better controls. Sure, the story is weak, but who cares? it's still a MegaMan game and it's still great. A MegaMan game should never be judged by the story unless it's an RPG. The game also offers a new feature called the Nightmare System where the levels would be MORE challenging than they are.

Some claim that the game wasn't good because it didn't have memorable things, I say BULLSHIT! This game had many memorable things such as High Max, the most irritating boss ever, Infinity Mijinion's level, that made you confused, The battle against Gate, That new feel to the music and Zero's ending. Sure, it's not as good as MegaMan X 5 in enjoyement factor, but it was still a very good game.

MegaMan X 7

MegaMan X Retrospective Rockman-x7

The Playstation 2 is here and MegaMan sets foot on this new console. After X being in the middle of many destruction, X retires from being a Maverick Hunter. That was a Super Effective move on the Maverick Hunters. Due to them not doing their jobs very well, a new group called Red Alert comes into play, doing the Maverick Hunters' jobs, only they don't play by the rules. The Maverick Hunters don't like how they play so they end up going head to head with each other, almost repeating the events of the Repliforce.

I'll be honest.. I really hate this game.. And I shouldn't. It's still a bad game compared to the other ones but I shouldn't hate it. They just wanted to try something new and since I'm the one that thinks people should stop bitching about Sega trying something new in Sonic Unleashed, It's time to take my advice and stop bitching about this game.

It could've been a great game, but I felt that a lot of things held it back. First of the goods. The game offers a new feature that allows you to switch between two characters in the middle of the game aswell as offering a new character, Axl, an Ex-Red Alert. Axl is like X, except he doesn't charges his shots and he has this great ability of transforming into his enemies. That's pretty much the goods.. Now the bads. First off, when you're in 2D mode, the controls aren't bad but when it switches to 3D, it becomes annoying to control and hard to platform. the switch between 2D and 3D sometimes happen when you're in the middle of a jump so it's annoying when you platform. You end up being in 3D more than 2D so pretty much the game ends up being annoying.

That's me looking at the game in a positive way.. I didn't like it, but it's worth 5$ or lower.

MegaMan X 8

MegaMan X Retrospective Megaman_x8p

The last installment of the X series (not including Command Mission). Humans were tired of the Maverick Wars so they began migrating to the moon. To help in this task, a giant Orbital Elevator, named the "Jakob Project" was constructed. This new era also brought about a new age of Reploid engineering. These so-called "New Generation Reploids" are advanced versions of Axl, the new-generation prototype, with his shape-changing ability. Given their ability to transform into any Reploid, this makes them extremely adaptable to the environment of outer space. However, one day, an accident aboard the Elevator sends one car crashing to Earth. X investigates, and it sets off a whole new Maverick riot when a group of copy Reploids copy Sigma's DNA in order to survive the crash. Mavericks begin appearing, and X, Zero, and Axl take to the field to stop it.

There's one thing that can be said about this game. It's what MegaMan X 7 should've been. It's 3D graphically, but true to it's gameplay and old roots. The great additions in X7 are still there, they just removed the 3D gameplay. X in X7 was pretty much useless, but now every character is different with their own abilities and weapons. I also like the character's new designs. This game is like MegaMan 9 to the X series. It's not perfect, it's not the best, but it's atleast it's a breath of fresh air.

Overall, the X series is one of the greatest series to hit the gaming world and it retains the main purpose of many MegaMan series. It's about many thing but it focuses on one thing only. To quote Boomstick, "The MegaMan series is a lot of fun and that's what the MegaMan series is for. Fun." Wether you like RPGs, Action games, Platformers, Fighting games, you'll always enjoy MegaMan.

--

Thank you for your time to read my retrospective on the X series. I was gonna add screenshots, but I got lazy.. >.>

If you enjoyed this, let me know and if you want, I'll do another retrospective on the Zero series or a whole new franchise. Love. <3
Back to top Go down
http://nplanet.net
koreanpakistan32
Strong Soul
koreanpakistan32

PostSubject: Re: MegaMan X Retrospective   MegaMan X Retrospective EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 6:38 pm

i LOVED the X series up untill the game when axl ? im not sure waht his name was joined

its not that i didnt like it i just didnt liek a nother addition to teh team but also i never played it

but my cuzin said it was ok
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/koreanpakistan32
Rey
Legendary Soul
Rey

PostSubject: Re: MegaMan X Retrospective   MegaMan X Retrospective EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 6:46 pm

I didn't accept Axl at first, but he's a very good character. Like I stated, MegaMan X7 wasn't as nearly as good as the other MegaMan X games BUT it's still a good game.
Back to top Go down
koreanpakistan32
Strong Soul
koreanpakistan32

PostSubject: Re: MegaMan X Retrospective   MegaMan X Retrospective EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 6:49 pm

i would so buy a package with the whole X series if they came out with one for the new consoles or jsut like somethign
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/koreanpakistan32
Rey
Legendary Soul
Rey

PostSubject: Re: MegaMan X Retrospective   MegaMan X Retrospective EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 6:51 pm

There is a MegaMan X Anniversary Collection, but I'd stay away from it since NONE of the games in it are the same or as good as the originals.

X doesn't even scream Hadoken in MegaMan X.. ;-;

However, the MegaMan X3 soundtrack of that collection was better than the original, just not the game..
Back to top Go down
XxRaN96xX
Helpful Soul
XxRaN96xX

PostSubject: Re: MegaMan X Retrospective   MegaMan X Retrospective EmptyFri Jan 16, 2009 9:21 pm

Rey wrote:
There is a MegaMan X Anniversary Collection, but I'd stay away from it since NONE of the games in it are the same or as good as the originals.

X doesn't even scream Hadoken in MegaMan X.. ;-;

However, the MegaMan X3 soundtrack of that collection was better than the original, just not the game..

Yea i bought the anniversary collection thinking it was going to have the first megaman X game (my favorite one)
Back to top Go down
Rey
Legendary Soul
Rey

PostSubject: Re: MegaMan X Retrospective   MegaMan X Retrospective EmptyFri Jan 16, 2009 9:49 pm

They could barely import two PS1 games in one PS2 CD. So importing three PS1 and three SNES games was hard.. they had to remove a lot of stuff.

So if you want to play a MegaMan game, please try the real thing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MegaMan X Retrospective   MegaMan X Retrospective Empty

Back to top Go down

MegaMan X Retrospective
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Soul Speak :: Gaming-
Jump to: