Soul Speak
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to gather and share and perhaps make life easier through sharing expirences.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Go down 
+8
Psoewish
MNTwins
thegaminggoose
suffo
EndOfHeartache
DiGiTiLsOuL
Shelbyliciouss
Mr.Miyagi
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr.Miyagi
Nooblit Soul

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Empty
PostSubject: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder   Obsessive Compulsive Disorder EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 8:55 pm

Anyone on here with any experience with OCD? Lately I've had reason to believe I may have OCD and I was curious....
How does a doctor diagnose you? Is there some sort of special tests they do to you? What sort of medications do they prescribe to treat OCD?
I've done a little googling and found some results but nothing that fantastic.

But hey, I figured maybe I could find some help here.

Thanks guys.

I thought this should go in anxiety because OCD can be intrusive thoughts that can lead to anxiety.
Sorry if this is in the wrong spot though.
Back to top Go down
Shelbyliciouss
Nooblit Soul

PostSubject: Re: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder   Obsessive Compulsive Disorder EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 9:05 pm

Yeah i have. I recommend you make an appointment with a psychologist or psychiatrist so they can properly diagnose you. After that they will try you on different medications (to find one thats right for you). But if the first medication you try doesn't work don't give up! I'm personally on Wellbutrin...its pretty awesome lol
Back to top Go down
DiGiTiLsOuL
Mortal Soul
DiGiTiLsOuL

PostSubject: Re: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder   Obsessive Compulsive Disorder EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 9:25 pm

Yeah at least talk to someone as stated.

The worst thing I do is recheck doors to make sure they are locked but twice tops lol.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/digitilsoul
EndOfHeartache
Helpful Soul

PostSubject: Re: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder   Obsessive Compulsive Disorder EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 9:31 pm

I know this has nothing to do with the topic and for that I'm sorry but.....I envy your username Wink

I think everyone suffers from a mild case of this, it's important that you don't fear confrontation. Avoiding the problem will only make it worse. Shelbyliciouss gave you some good advice. Get a professional opinion.
Back to top Go down
suffo
Nooblit Soul

PostSubject: What gives you the impression that you have OCD?   Obsessive Compulsive Disorder EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 9:49 pm

Uncontrollable introspective thoughts?
Social anxiety?
A Messianic complex?
Do you have some type of underlying phobia?
Basically, I'm asking what do you think is the source of your problem?
Back to top Go down
thegaminggoose
Nooblit Soul
thegaminggoose

PostSubject: As a person with OCD . . .   Obsessive Compulsive Disorder EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 10:18 pm

Well, the answer depends on what you suffer from exactly as there are different levels. The doctor is going to ask you some questions and throw a med at you to see if it sticks.,

They can't really test for the chemical imbalance in your brain . . .okay, they CAN but its not standard and its not really something they do.

Talking to a psychologist will help, but probably not with OCD. If you have had it a while, then you know some of the nagging thoughts are not rational anyways, but you do them.

Medication can be a good thing. It always depends on the person and his or her body chemistry. I have heard that SSRIs (Which most of these are ) mess with your metabolism and this is where weight gain is supposed to come into play.

Some doctors say yes, others say no. I know I was on a strict diet and went to a nutritionist. When I started the pills I gradually gained 30 pounds and I have been trying to knock it off since.

Oh, and some will have sexual issues on SSRIs so I would look into that as well.
Back to top Go down
http://kr.youtube.com/user/thegaminggoose
MNTwins
Mortal Soul
MNTwins

PostSubject: Re: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder   Obsessive Compulsive Disorder EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 10:26 pm

Yeah i agree on that everyone experiences some form of OCD, just not as extreme as others.

I wouldn't worry TOO much about it, unless it really gets worse.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Miyagi
Nooblit Soul

PostSubject: Re: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder   Obsessive Compulsive Disorder EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 10:39 pm

Thanks everyone.
I think I'll make a doctors appointment and see if I really do have OCD or if I'm just being a hypochondriac like usual.
Back to top Go down
Psoewish
Epic Soul
Psoewish

PostSubject: Re: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder   Obsessive Compulsive Disorder EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 10:45 pm

Well personally I have OCD as well, but I hate meds and I won't take any unless I absolutely need it.
I have just learned to live with it really, and it doesn't bother me as much as it used to anymore. Though I can imagine that if it's worse than I have it, then it must get depressing.
Back to top Go down
MisterTickle
Nooblit Soul

PostSubject: Re: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder   Obsessive Compulsive Disorder EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 11:39 pm

I personally don't believe in Psychiatry. Prescription medication or "Mental Disorder"
Back to top Go down
SevenYears
Helpful Soul
SevenYears

PostSubject: Re: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder   Obsessive Compulsive Disorder EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 4:44 am

Quote :
Anyone on here with any experience with OCD?

Yeah. My OCD ranges a lot and includes things like checking locks, stove, repeating words, re-writing perfect sentences/words/letters (I'm doing it right now). Then there are disturbing thoughts that constantly bother me.

Quote :
Lately I've had reason to believe I may have OCD and I was curious....

How does a doctor diagnose you? Is there some sort of special tests they do to you?

You have to fit specific diagnostic criteria. You need to have either obsessions or compulsions, or obsessions and compulsions in combination, and these things must hinder everyday function and cause a measurable, pronounced degree of suffering. For me it did not take a lot to get a diagnosis, and it's worth visiting your psychiatrist, psychologist, or GP if you think you might suffer from some form (there are multiple forms) of obsessive compulsive disorder.

Quote :
What sort of medications do they prescribe to treat OCD?

Selective Serotonin Re-Uptake Inhibitors are considered effective Anti-Obsessives for use in treatment for OCD patients. Drugs like Paxil, Prozac, Effexor, Luvox, and Zoloft are often the medications of choice for this condition. And sometimes antipsychotics are used to augment treatment in case of unsatisfactory results. The cingulate gyrus is the part of the brain responsible for OCD/OCD spectrum disorders, and these medications seem to calm the overactivity/increased blood flow that can cause this problem.

You'll also see the use of Benzodiazepines in OCD as they are potent sedatives with various other properties. It depends on the type you take, but the one I use, Lorazepam (often under the brand name "Ativan") has all core properties of this class of drugs, and I find them extremely helpful as an adjunct to the SSRI.

Treatment will largely depend on the doctor, but the right place to start is scheduling an appointment and going from there.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/PurpleHoneyBear
Ruff_Diamond
Helpful Soul
Ruff_Diamond

PostSubject: Re: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder   Obsessive Compulsive Disorder EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 8:14 am

i think everybody has a little OCD in them obviously some more than others. i know a guy with it and its not a bad thing he just takes loads of showers and washs his hands alot. nothing wrong with that. but you should consult your doctor if worried
Back to top Go down
patientdead
Nooblit Soul

PostSubject: Re: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder   Obsessive Compulsive Disorder EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 11:01 am

Ruff_Diamond wrote:
i think everybody has a little OCD in them obviously some more than others. i know a guy with it and its not a bad thing he just takes loads of showers and washs his hands alot. nothing wrong with that. but you should consult your doctor if worried

I somtimes have 3 showers a day, but Its cuzz i have oily skin and after doing some work I feel really dirty.
Back to top Go down
thegaminggoose
Nooblit Soul
thegaminggoose

PostSubject: Re: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder   Obsessive Compulsive Disorder EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 12:57 pm

MisterTickle wrote:
I personally don't believe in Psychiatry. Prescription medication or "Mental Disorder"

They aren't Santa or the Easter Bunny. These things really exist. You haven't been around really crazy people have you?

Psychiatry and medication get a bad rap. The reason is most people go to them now cause they cant hang with real life. We are all wimps anymore.

Mental Disorders exist though and there are some that can be stabilized with medication.
Back to top Go down
http://kr.youtube.com/user/thegaminggoose
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder   Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Empty

Back to top Go down

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Soul Speak :: Life Issues-
Jump to: