Soul Speak
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to gather and share and perhaps make life easier through sharing expirences.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

I just freeze in scary situations

Go down 
+2
Ferdri3
Rob
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Rob
Nooblit Soul

I just freeze in scary situations Empty
PostSubject: I just freeze in scary situations   I just freeze in scary situations EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 11:36 am

I don't want to be the steven seagal who beats up all the bad guys but in situation where I may need to run, or fight I just freeze.

exmaple, just today I was in the store and some guy was caught shoplifting, the manager came out and caught him and a little fight ensued, he was handling him well as he was quite a skinny guy compared to the averge built manager, so I didn't feel that he needed help, within a matter of seconds he had picked him up and literraly kicked him out of the door.

Now My problem is, right there my adrenaline should have kicked in, I should have been able to help the guy, and if it was me, fight back, while I watched I was thinking of just hitting the guy to maybe knock him out or something but I just freeze I just can't, a massive panic rushes over me and I wouldn't be fit to do anythign in that state.

So I ask how can I overcome this? Why isn't my adrenaline kicking in, I worry because if I was attacked I would need my strength to fight back.
Back to top Go down
Ferdri3
Helpful Soul
Ferdri3

PostSubject: Re: I just freeze in scary situations   I just freeze in scary situations EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 12:13 pm

hey Rob,

although I cant really give u an advice on this matter, I would love to say something..

the thoughts running true ur head about kicking his bumm and the panic u feel...............thats the adreneline

it is only an inch between "thinking" and "doing", but on that inch there is a 12 feet high massive wall u need to clime over
Back to top Go down
http://www.ferdri3.hyves.nl
Remo
Elite Soul
Remo

PostSubject: Re: I just freeze in scary situations   I just freeze in scary situations EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 4:02 pm

Indeed, the freezing IS the adrenaline. Your body pumps the adrenaline, yet your brain doesn't know what to do with it.

To get over something like this I suggest going to a gym somewhere and take up boxing. They will teach you how to punch, and in the long run you will get over that wall.

I used to be the same way when I was allot younger. Around 11, I got into a fight, but I froze up and completely got my butt handed to me. Well I didn't like this so I took up boxing, muay tai, and krav maga.

After that, any fight I got into I had three specific rules of engagement.

Is the person at a safe distance, and only mouthing off? If yes, then nothing needs to be done, your fine.

Is the person possibly going to harm me, and is moving closer? If Yes then get into a ready stance. Spread your legs slightly to get your balance and a proper platform for attacking.

Is the person now within arms reach, trying to "Bump Chests" as I like to call it, or just being agressive in general? If yes, swing first catching him off guard. Do as much damage as you possibly can. Run.

I know you weren't exactly talking about fighting in general. But what you did was perfectly fine in my book. It wasn't any of your business, he wasn't going to hurt you so you didn't need to interfere.

Take up boxing, even if you can't get classes go to any gym, find a person practicing and ask him to help you. Usually all of the people who do boxing LOVE to help newbies learn the sport, I know I do...
Back to top Go down
Ishtehcoke~
Helpful Soul
Ishtehcoke~

PostSubject: Re: I just freeze in scary situations   I just freeze in scary situations EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 1:56 am

Hey rob ,
lol , i think your problem should be fear .
you have all the adrenaline like what the 2 guys said , but maybe you fear that you might get hurt or something .
Try overcoming the fear in your mind and maybe you can redirect your adrenaline .
Though Fighting is not advised as it will put you in to a bad position if the *fight* becomes a police case .
So word of advice is just to call your local police or whatever you call it .
Or if someone wanna pick up a fight with you , push him off and try to run .

(trust me , you don't wanna hurt someone else . its an awful sight that will stay in your head for a life time )
Back to top Go down
GabbiJay
Mortal Soul
GabbiJay

PostSubject: Re: I just freeze in scary situations   I just freeze in scary situations EmptyWed Feb 11, 2009 5:15 pm

i get these kinds of feelings too. everytime i'm exposed to some stuff and some tough guy tries to do something to me, i always imagine myself just confidently walking away from him and just tough him out, but when it actually happens i just freeze and i can't do or say anything against him.
Back to top Go down
Safehaven
Elite Soul
Safehaven

PostSubject: Re: I just freeze in scary situations   I just freeze in scary situations EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 11:02 pm

I Know exactly what your going through instead of freezing I sleep affraid . If I think my body or life is in danger I freeze and slowly get dizzy till I'm on the floor sleeping. I'm not narcolepic or cataplexic but when adrenaline flows I get to much and I can't handle it and I fall down till the pain in my heads to much then I pass out and when I wake up the headache isn't to easy to handle. I agree with the others its something that you'll have to fight to overcome yourself with time, I think I'm kinda stuck because I would have to calm myself down and by then I'll be dead so I just have to give up. But yours is a little bit more controllable so just try and channel that adrenaline so you can defend yourself. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I just freeze in scary situations   I just freeze in scary situations Empty

Back to top Go down

I just freeze in scary situations
Page 1 of 1