Soul Speak
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to gather and share and perhaps make life easier through sharing expirences.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Yet Another Anime Thread...

Go down 
+4
Tcorb18
DtoX
martinezaj25
Avernious
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Avernious
Epic Soul
Avernious

Yet Another Anime Thread... Empty
PostSubject: Yet Another Anime Thread...   Yet Another Anime Thread... EmptyTue Feb 10, 2009 9:05 pm

Ok first off... Do you download anime? (Torrents and all that noise)

If so... Do you look for English Dub?English Sub? Maybe you don't care. Maybe you speak Japanese? Let me know.. And Why?

Personally... I recently Downloaded Samurai Champloo and Trinity Blood. I'm contemplating downloading Bleach... and I look for English Dubbed... Reading Subtitles puts me to sleep unless its Kung Fu movies.. I still prefer English...
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Avernious
martinezaj25
Strong Soul

PostSubject: Re: Yet Another Anime Thread...   Yet Another Anime Thread... EmptyTue Feb 10, 2009 9:31 pm

When I used to download Death note, I would always get the E-Dub version. Reading isn't my thing so I wouldn't want to read a show that can get confusing if you miss interpret a word. I guess it depends on what language I start watching the anime. I head DBZ/DN/Naruto in English so I prefer the E-dub over E-subs.

Even if I knew Japanese, I think I would still get the E-Dub versions. So I won't feel that sense of "damnit! what does that mean again?"
Back to top Go down
Avernious
Epic Soul
Avernious

PostSubject: Re: Yet Another Anime Thread...   Yet Another Anime Thread... EmptyWed Feb 11, 2009 10:56 pm

martinezaj25 wrote:
When I used to download Death note, I would always get the E-Dub version. Reading isn't my thing so I wouldn't want to read a show that can get confusing if you miss interpret a word. I guess it depends on what language I start watching the anime. I head DBZ/DN/Naruto in English so I prefer the E-dub over E-subs.

Even if I knew Japanese, I think I would still get the E-Dub versions. So I won't feel that sense of "damnit! what does that mean again?"

HAHA! I'm actually learning a bit of Japanese.. and when a word comes across I know I'm like WAIT!!!!!!!! Its so funny you mentioned that.

The way I figure if I wanted to read I'd just find the manga, ya know? I do this with Naruto.. I love reading Naruto. Every Saturday I read the newest chapter. Here lately I've been really enjoying it. Especially since its NARUTO vs PAIN!!! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
martinezaj25
Strong Soul

PostSubject: Re: Yet Another Anime Thread...   Yet Another Anime Thread... EmptyThu Feb 12, 2009 4:27 pm

Speaking of Naruo v Pain or Pein w/e.. My friend said that Pain did something to Naruto and he doesnt have the fox anymore... or Something like that
Back to top Go down
Avernious
Epic Soul
Avernious

PostSubject: Re: Yet Another Anime Thread...   Yet Another Anime Thread... EmptyFri Feb 13, 2009 12:29 am

martinezaj25 wrote:
Speaking of Naruo v Pain or Pein w/e.. My friend said that Pain did something to Naruto and he doesnt have the fox anymore... or Something like that

Oh no that's still there... He just is not suppose to use it. If he does the demon can take control and Naruto will die or something. However Naruto does learn Sage techniques like Jiraya learned. Which is pretty awesome. However Naruto has to master it a different way. As always using clones. The normal way cannot be accomplished because Naruto has the Fox Demon in him.

(The Normal way is the Frog [ Can't remember their names ] fuse to the shoulders and meditate to focus on natural energy to draw it in while the host fights an example of this can be seen when Jiraya fights Pain )
Back to top Go down
Avernious
Epic Soul
Avernious

PostSubject: Re: Yet Another Anime Thread...   Yet Another Anime Thread... EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 8:43 pm

ANIME COMES ON TONIGHT YAY!
Back to top Go down
martinezaj25
Strong Soul

PostSubject: Re: Yet Another Anime Thread...   Yet Another Anime Thread... EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 9:03 pm

Do you know when Dub Shippuden comes in? I want to see how their voiced would be.
Back to top Go down
Avernious
Epic Soul
Avernious

PostSubject: Re: Yet Another Anime Thread...   Yet Another Anime Thread... EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 10:05 pm

martinezaj25 wrote:
Do you know when Dub Shippuden comes in? I want to see how their voiced would be.

I don't but it will probably be in the fall.
Back to top Go down
martinezaj25
Strong Soul

PostSubject: Re: Yet Another Anime Thread...   Yet Another Anime Thread... EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 8:33 am

I heard Shizune died. Is that true?
Back to top Go down
Avernious
Epic Soul
Avernious

PostSubject: Re: Yet Another Anime Thread...   Yet Another Anime Thread... EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 1:38 pm

martinezaj25 wrote:
I heard Shizune died. Is that true?
Yeah. Pain killed her., or at least it looks as if he did. She's laying immobilized for the past 3 chapters not moving, talking or thinking... So yeah its a safe assumptions she's been killed.

I'll give you the sight I read all my Naruto on.

http://www.narutocentral.com/?p=media/manga_chapters

Thats all manga chapters in the entire Naruto series. Wink
Back to top Go down
DtoX
Solid soul
DtoX

PostSubject: Re: Yet Another Anime Thread...   Yet Another Anime Thread... EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 4:53 pm

hate dubs.
with out the original Japanese you loose everything that makes it anime.
in english its just a cartoon.
and also japanese is a fantastically beautiful language.
my fav language.
Back to top Go down
Tcorb18
Epic Soul
Tcorb18

PostSubject: Re: Yet Another Anime Thread...   Yet Another Anime Thread... EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 6:02 pm

DtoX wrote:
hate dubs.
my fav language.

Yeah, I wish I knew Japanese. And then I'd go to Japan and meet me a little hottie. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/timcorbitt
martinezaj25
Strong Soul

PostSubject: Re: Yet Another Anime Thread...   Yet Another Anime Thread... EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 7:11 pm

Tcorb18-That is one of the reasons I want to go to Japan.

DtoX-Dubs can get annoying. But, you have to admit the dbz dub is better then the Japanese dbz
Back to top Go down
Avernious
Epic Soul
Avernious

PostSubject: Re: Yet Another Anime Thread...   Yet Another Anime Thread... EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 10:56 pm

DtoX wrote:
hate dubs.
my fav language.

No, I'm sure its still an anime. lol. However I'd like to know how you've come this conclusion?

Japanese is a great language. I've gotten audio lessons. Its pretty easy to pick up.
Back to top Go down
GiraffeInc
Nooblit Soul
GiraffeInc

PostSubject: Re: Yet Another Anime Thread...   Yet Another Anime Thread... EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 12:28 am

I can't stand dubs either. There are some good dubs out there but not many. Most of the time in the dubbed version of anime it gets censored and even parts of the anime left out. I use to watch the dubbed versions but then started getting really into anime and saw the diffrences. Once you get use to it you start to not even notice your reading and even pick up some jap language. Reading subs is nothing like reading the manga thats why people read the manga and watch the anime.
Back to top Go down
DtoX
Solid soul
DtoX

PostSubject: Re: Yet Another Anime Thread...   Yet Another Anime Thread... EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 2:45 am

the way i came to that conclusion is that they way they speak gets completely changed.
they way they react gets completely changed.
anything thats supposed to be funny just looks stupid cause they dont have the same power and energy in the way they speak.
when they scream "NANI?!" in confusion it sounds funny cause of the way they say it.
when its in english its like "what?", theydont even scream. they just talk slightly louder.
i hated the fact that i had to read the subs when i first started watching anime.
two episodes of naruto later and i wouldnt have it any other way.
when they can make the facial expression match what their saying( in english that is) i may consider watching an anime in english.
but so far everything ive seen in english was a 100times funnier and cooler in japanese.
you take away japanese you take away the essence of anime
Back to top Go down
Rey
Legendary Soul
Rey

PostSubject: Re: Yet Another Anime Thread...   Yet Another Anime Thread... EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 7:33 am

I'm not big on Anime. I pretty much prefer shows like Animaniacs and Darkwing Duck.

However, I do like few animes like Hunter X Hunter, Fist of the North Star, Bleach, the very first Yu-Gi-Oh and Katekyo Hitman REBORN.

I don't download them on torrent nor do I download them off a site. I usually run into them in a VHS store or on Youtube.

Subs and dubs.. well, I have mixed feelings..

Subbed is better to help you take it more seriously, but you're reading so you're not paying attention most of the time..

Dubbed is the opposite. You're paying attention, but you just can't take it seriously.. especially with horrible voice acting..
Back to top Go down
http://nplanet.net
Avernious
Epic Soul
Avernious

PostSubject: Re: Yet Another Anime Thread...   Yet Another Anime Thread... EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 11:08 am

DtoX wrote:
the way i came to that conclusion is that they way they speak gets completely changed.
they way they react gets completely changed.
anything thats supposed to be funny just looks stupid cause they dont have the same power and energy in the way they speak.
when they scream "NANI?!" in confusion it sounds funny cause of the way they say it.
when its in english its like "what?", theydont even scream. they just talk slightly louder.
i hated the fact that i had to read the subs when i first started watching anime.
two episodes of naruto later and i wouldnt have it any other way.
when they can make the facial expression match what their saying( in english that is) i may consider watching an anime in english.
but so far everything ive seen in english was a 100times funnier and cooler in japanese.
you take away japanese you take away the essence of anime

I disagree. Anime is more about the way its drawn, Its a journey or adventure. Naruto is a bad example...."Believe it!"... However they wanted to make it more child friendly. Can't blame em. Kids get things sold faster. However I do disagree with censoring anime or altering it.

I've watched a few animes in both English and Japanese. The series felt exactly the same. Of course we can complain I like the Japanese voice actor, or I think the English Voice actor did better, etc. However even if I had it on mute. I could still see that I was watching anime. Which is a good example. Think of those who are hearing impared. Saying not being able to watch it with any audio. Only reading subtitles. Wouldn't it still be anime? I think the answer is yes.

However I believe anime is more than just about how its drawn (even though my previous statement suggest otherwise). Its a multitude of things that pull it together to make a experience. Everything from the dialog spoken to the manner at which it presents itself.

I appreciate you taking the time to explain your point of view to me, even though I disagree. I respect your opinion.
Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Avernious
Epic Soul
Avernious

PostSubject: Re: Yet Another Anime Thread...   Yet Another Anime Thread... EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 11:10 am

Rey wrote:
I'm not big on Anime. I pretty much prefer shows like Animaniacs and Darkwing Duck.

However, I do like few animes like Hunter X Hunter, Fist of the North Star, Bleach, the very first Yu-Gi-Oh and Katekyo Hitman REBORN.

I don't download them on torrent nor do I download them off a site. I usually run into them in a VHS store or on Youtube.

Subs and dubs.. well, I have mixed feelings..

Subbed is better to help you take it more seriously, but you're reading so you're not paying attention most of the time..

Dubbed is the opposite. You're paying attention, but you just can't take it seriously.. especially with horrible voice acting..

Indeed. Its hard to find ANY good voice actors. However I've run across a few I particularly like. Steven Blum is my all time favorite. He always comes with the same voice. Yet its always suited to the character he portrays. Be it a lowly grunt, right up to Spike himself. Cool
Back to top Go down
martinezaj25
Strong Soul

PostSubject: Re: Yet Another Anime Thread...   Yet Another Anime Thread... EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 11:40 am

Lets talk Death note.

IF you have seen it in both Dub and Japanese, then I would like you to tell me which one you prefer.
Back to top Go down
DtoX
Solid soul
DtoX

PostSubject: Re: Yet Another Anime Thread...   Yet Another Anime Thread... EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 12:53 pm

you are taking what im saying a little to literal.
of course its still anime no matter the language.
anime is a cartoon drawn in a specific way and so on.
and ok say naruto was a poor example.
what about full metal alchemist? not very child friendly.
or even better. elfen lied.
nyu would go from being incredibly cute and sexy at the same time to being annoying sexy.
only a japanese girl can make nyu, nyu.
why? cause they have a completely different voice and tone than americans do(or any other country cause we all talk diffrent) so half the character is lost cause the way they speak does not live up to the character they voice actor is playing.
and that goes for almost every anime out there. samurai champloo is good in english cause it doesnt have a lot of the classic anime scenes where they draw then chibi.
so thats an anime that works in english mostly because of that. they dont have alot of thoes high energy scenes(not like battle scenes cause good knows they have them and there awsome).
there is just something no one but the japanese is able to deliver.
they have such a unique and energetic way of creating there characters.
for example i could never watch bleach in english.
ichigo would not be ichigo anymore cause whom ever would end up having his voice can not live up to who ichigo is.
the same goes for the rest to. uruhara, kenpachi, orihime hitsugaya toshiro etc.
thats why i say that if its not in japanese its not anime.
half the character get lost in translation.
its like theyd remake terminator with toby macguire instead of arnold.
its just not the same.
Back to top Go down
Avernious
Epic Soul
Avernious

PostSubject: Re: Yet Another Anime Thread...   Yet Another Anime Thread... EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 8:32 pm

DtoX wrote:
you are taking what im saying a little to literal.
of course its still anime no matter the language.
anime is a cartoon drawn in a specific way and so on.
and ok say naruto was a poor example.
what about full metal alchemist? not very child friendly.
or even better. elfen lied.
nyu would go from being incredibly cute and sexy at the same time to being annoying sexy.
only a japanese girl can make nyu, nyu.
why? cause they have a completely different voice and tone than americans do(or any other country cause we all talk diffrent) so half the character is lost cause the way they speak does not live up to the character they voice actor is playing.
and that goes for almost every anime out there. samurai champloo is good in english cause it doesnt have a lot of the classic anime scenes where they draw then chibi.
so thats an anime that works in english mostly because of that. they dont have alot of thoes high energy scenes(not like battle scenes cause good knows they have them and there awsome).
there is just something no one but the japanese is able to deliver.
they have such a unique and energetic way of creating there characters.
for example i could never watch bleach in english.
ichigo would not be ichigo anymore cause whom ever would end up having his voice can not live up to who ichigo is.
the same goes for the rest to. uruhara, kenpachi, orihime hitsugaya toshiro etc.
thats why i say that if its not in japanese its not anime.
half the character get lost in translation.
its like theyd remake terminator with toby macguire instead of arnold.
its just not the same.

I can't say I apologize for taking what you say literally. As there wasn't any figurative manner implied. However I still disagree.

Where as you're 100% right. The original voice of the character his emotion is lost, and not by half as you've stated. All of that persona is gone. However, it allows a all new character to be born. Sometimes this is good. Sometimes, well... Naruto... lol

I'd like to add I think you misunderstood my statement about Naruto. I don't think all anime should be child friendly. I think anime should remain the same. For example. If Naruto says "Damn you". Which he often does in the Manga. I think that should be remain. I only brought up Naruto as an example of translation ruining what could've been an amazing show. For the record. I don't watch Naruto in Japanese.. I only read the Manga.

As for Ichigo in English. John Young Bosch does a outstanding job actually. Razz

All I'm saying is... You can't judge something based on what it was (well you can, but I'm trying to make a point Razz ).
For example books to movies are always different, and to compare the too isn't fair. You simply have to accept it for what it is. Same goes for anything; manga to anime, video games to movies, or vice versa.

Just want you to know I totally understand what you're saying. Its not the same, but its not always a bad thing. You just gotta give it a chance, before you decide its awful. Ya know? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kurten
Mortal Soul
Kurten

PostSubject: Re: Yet Another Anime Thread...   Yet Another Anime Thread... EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 9:17 pm

I download and buy. I can only watch with japanese audio and i prefer english subs. (english audio kinda ruins it) I mostly watch animes with mechs in it like full metal panic and gundam but i like the area 88 series too. And black algoon is a favorite too.
Back to top Go down
DtoX
Solid soul
DtoX

PostSubject: Re: Yet Another Anime Thread...   Yet Another Anime Thread... EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 2:36 am

i have tried dubs.
and i dont like them.
thats why im saying i hate dubs.
cause whom ever has whom ever characters voices does not do them like they should be.
no other language is suited for anime than japanese.
but im not saying all dubs are horrid.
ive seen FLCL( fooli cooli) and its impossible to find it with with eng subs instead of eng dub.
and FLCL is a fantastic anime.
its way to short but its funny as hell.
but if i saw the same anime again but in jap with subs, i know id laugh even more cause it has more energy.
they seem crazier, sader, more confused etc.
they become the extremes that they all are.
all anime characters are extreme in there own way.
but the dubs takes that away cause they cant put the same level of energy into their character.
ive tried both sides of this coin.
and i know what i prefer.
and i know what i would recommend others to watch.
oh and btw i hated the fact they where in japanese at first.
but i got used to it and then anything in english was just blah.
let anime remain japanese.
Back to top Go down
Avernious
Epic Soul
Avernious

PostSubject: Re: Yet Another Anime Thread...   Yet Another Anime Thread... EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 9:08 am

DtoX wrote:
i have tried dubs.
and i dont like them.
thats why im saying i hate dubs.
cause whom ever has whom ever characters voices does not do them like they should be.
no other language is suited for anime than japanese.
but im not saying all dubs are horrid.
ive seen FLCL( fooli cooli) and its impossible to find it with with eng subs instead of eng dub.
and FLCL is a fantastic anime.
its way to short but its funny as hell.
but if i saw the same anime again but in jap with subs, i know id laugh even more cause it has more energy.
they seem crazier, sader, more confused etc.
they become the extremes that they all are.
all anime characters are extreme in there own way.
but the dubs takes that away cause they cant put the same level of energy into their character.
ive tried both sides of this coin.
and i know what i prefer.
and i know what i would recommend others to watch.
oh and btw i hated the fact they where in japanese at first.
but i got used to it and then anything in english was just blah.
let anime remain japanese.

I still gotta disagree. I fail to see how an English voice actor can bring the same level of energy. I mean its not as if they're uncapable, and to say that someone is better just because of their race well... We all know about that...

Let me ask you do you have a basic understanding of the sentence structure of the Japanese language?

Furthermore. I don't think my question was answered. If a person is def would it still be Anime?

I know this debate is pointless. Seeing as how its each others preference. Which is why I'm not trying to "win" you over. Just more so trying to get you to acknowledge my point of view. Cool Which is, Anime is Anime no matter what language spoken, it remains entertaining to watch.

I mean its hard to enjoy something when you have to read. lol You can't pay attention to the "energy" in their voices. When I have to read that all becomes moot to me, because I'm not listening to them because I don't understand them. I can't watch the entire screen if I have to read what they're saying. Which is why I started to learn Japanese. Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yet Another Anime Thread...   Yet Another Anime Thread... Empty

Back to top Go down

Yet Another Anime Thread...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next