Soul Speak
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to gather and share and perhaps make life easier through sharing expirences.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Understanding anxiety?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TFaith
Mortal Soul
TFaith

Understanding anxiety? Empty
PostSubject: Understanding anxiety?   Understanding anxiety? EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 3:11 am

Ok, so, following from my other thread 'jealousy' in relationships, weve had a long talk, and my girl's problem is well, anxiety, she has it pretty bad, most of the time its just cyclic, like, she gets, scared of being scared? and then it jumps off from there..

personally, i dont understand it too much, i mean, I get it partially, and i try to be understanding, but i dont know what triggers it, or how the littlest problems, can become big deals over it..

basically yeah, I looked through some threads and i was wondering if any sufferer's of anxiety could give ME advice on how to be a partner to her, and help her through things, and understanding it, or if you are again, a sufferer, any advice you have on how to calm yourself down etcetera!

Basically any advice for her, or for myself, would be fantastic, as im struggling to, not understand it, i mean, when we are together, i can see it in her eyes, and i can hug her, and its ya know, its ok, but, we are stuck long distance for another 2 months or so? and we have alot of bumps in the road, to tackle, her uni, me moving there, finding work etc.. thats stressful for any non anxious person, and im just worried about her.

So, yeah, any advice would be much appreciated.

T
Back to top Go down
Ichigo
Epic Soul
Ichigo

PostSubject: Re: Understanding anxiety?   Understanding anxiety? EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 2:35 pm

It's a tough thing to understand. Usually the person that is experiencing it doesn't fully understand it even.

When anxiety hits me, I know I want to feel like normal asap. I usually try thinking of something else to get my mind off of it or even just go do something as simple as a walk. The more you think about what's going on the longer it seems to stick around.

My suggestion is when it's happening and she lets you know that it is happening. Is to make her feel as normal as possible so it takes her mind off of it. Talk about something you know makes her happy or something along those lines. Chances are if she thinks about something else that makes her happy it'll calm her down and take her mind off of it.

Not knowing the full situation, that's the best suggestion I can give.

edit: Also just a phone call soothes my mind sometimes. Sometimes at work if I start feeling like i'm panicing/having anxiety. I'll just call my dad and talk to him and he usually calms me down. Just hearing someones voice that you know and love can do the trick.

Dunno if that helps at all. I know you've probably thought of both these things, but hope things work out for you and your girlfriend.
Back to top Go down
Safehaven
Elite Soul
Safehaven

PostSubject: Re: Understanding anxiety?   Understanding anxiety? EmptySat Apr 04, 2009 1:45 am

When anxiety hits me I have to find somewhere to sit because its alot worse then people think. For me it feels like your going to die because it gets hard for me to breathe and that usually starts the Asthma attacks, Headaches, blah.
Since I always have an inhaler on hand I take it even when I have a anxiety attack because it forces me to calm down, I normally don't have anyone around to help me out so I just take an inhaler and it puts me on my butt.

So the only advice I can give is just stand with her if she has anxiety attacks then breathe with her if necessary. Talk to her and keep her mind in a wondering state don't let her think about it or it will last longer than necessary. She might have a panic disorder and at that point she can get medication to help her with her panic attacks because they can sometimes make you feel like your about to die if your ingulfed in the experience. Just hang in there with her she'll be fine just let her know your there for her and that will do the trick.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Understanding anxiety?   Understanding anxiety? Empty

Back to top Go down

Understanding anxiety?
Page 1 of 1